Saturday, January 10, 2009

Knitting

In case you're unable to tell by my other blog, my favourite hobby is knitting.

Why knitting? I hear you ask. Isn't that reserved for old women who have nothing better to do?

Bite your tongue (or I might stab it with my DPN!)

Knitting is incredibly soothing. It can take me down from wanting to shake my 6 year old until her teeth rattle to being able to say "that's nice darling". It helps me relax after a long, hard day at work. It can help me to not want to strangle the smelly 18 year old sitting next to me on the train with appalling music blaring loudly enough from his headphones to give him industrial deafness even though he's never set foot inside a factory.

Knitting is also an amazing act of alchemy. I make things that can be used, that can keep people warm, that can dress a baby, with a couple of sticks and a bit of string. Knitting helps me to be a better person, and also allows me to help people in a unique way. Most of my knitting is for charity - beanies and scarves for the homeless, toys for children in domestic shelters or who have been in a traumatic situation, premmie baby clothes ... the list goes on. So not only does knitting make me a better person by helping me to be more patient and achieve a sense of calm, but it allows me to be a better person by helping other people.

Frankly, knitting rocks. And how many people did you last help when you were undertaking your own hobby?

2 comments:

  1. Yes well i can understand how knitting can be soothing and a great way of thinking with a fantastic megnasium in just knitting,as my GIRL loves to also partispate in that line of hobby keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Me again, visiting from your profile. Having enjoyed your other blog, thought I'd check this one out. I completely agree about how we can use our hobbies to help others. I think people don't often think of it that way, although I must admit that several of my knitting and spinning friends do charity projects. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete